Sam has blonde wavy chin-length hair, green eyes and light skin. Usually, she wears a black jacket, a red shirt, and a golden necklace.
A stereotypical Texan, Sam is generally polite, but doesn't tolerate nonsense and prefers getting to the point. She likes to use force, is often brash, and can be blunt, a perfect foil to Dave's cool and calm approach. She likes to use words as a weapon, typical of someone who keeps people at a distance, as pointed out by Mirasol. However, she still has a soft spot, as shown when she's talking about Bill Holton, and when she's comforting Dave after they've spent some time together.
Despite seeming stubborn, Sam can learn to change her usual mannerisms to adapt to the situation, seen when she used Dave's approach in tricking Hayley Rose to lower her guard.
Sam is currently partnered with Dave. She and Dave are at first forced to work together to catch John Tull and imprison him. The two initially have difficulty getting along due to their contrasting personalities and approaches: while Dave is calm during intense situations and prefers using his tongue, Sam is impulsive and spontaneous, and prefers talking with her gun. Despite their conflicting personality, Dave and Sam nevertheless balance each other out, something they come to realise as they continue to work together.
Sam also acknowledges Dave's skill as a detective, shown when she defended him from Captain Beckham; and as they spent more time together, begins opening up to him about Bill in detail. In return, she sympathizes with Dave for his tragic background.
Evan is Sam's best friend and partner back in Texas.
Bill was Sam's boss and mentor. His death, which she witnessed firsthand, enraged her and made her swore vengeance on Tull, not only because she sees him as a father-figure but also because she blames herself for Bill trying to protect her from Tull's perversion.
Sam bitterly abhors him both for the crimes he committed and for killing Bill. Tull's singling her out with his perverted comments caused her to feel responsible for the consequences of his escape and therefore for bringing him to justice.
- Sam is shown on the cover of Most Wanted, Book 1.
- She made a cameo appearance alongside with Dave in Endless Summer, Book 1, Chapter 13 as characters in the arcade game "Most Wanted, Book 2".
- She dislikes being called a "girlie" and being told what to wear.
- She comes from a family of seven, with three older brothers and an older sister.
- She shares the same forename as Samantha Winters, a character from the Veil of Secrets book.
- She is shown to be LGBT in Most Wanted, Book 1, Chapter 10 when the player can choose to have Sam flirt with Alyssa and say that she caught her eye.